Near the turn of the century (1907), a group of fathers from the Christian Reformed Church of Whitinsville organized a Society for Christian Instruction. It was their desire and purpose to educate their children in a school where God’s Word was central to all of learning. In 1924 the Society was incorporated by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as an educational institution. However, it was not until 1928 that Whitinsville Christian School opened its doors for the first time in the basement of the Christian Reformed Church on Willow Street.
When the church relocated to a new edifice on Pleasant Street, the old church was given to the Christian School Society. Renovations were made in the 1930’s, 1940’s and 1950’s to meet the school’s needs. Despite the renovations, it became more and more apparent that the structure was inadequate for the growing enrollment and increasing educational demands.
In the early 1960’s, a decision was made to purchase land and to start a fund for the construction of a new school. The present 27-acre site of the school was purchased from the Whitin Machine Works in 1966. On March 30, 1968, ground was broken for the construction of the present building at 279 Linwood Avenue. Through the efforts of a dedicated building committee, much sacrificial giving of money and volunteer labor, the building was ready for occupancy in November 1969.
On the day before Thanksgiving 1969, the entire student body walked from the old Willow Street building to the new Linwood Avenue building. It was a remarkable and thrilling sight to witness this evidence of God’s blessing poured out upon His people. To enter a beautiful new facility with large well-equipped, carpeted classrooms and lively-painted walls was a welcome change for the students and teachers!
The building has undergone many expansions as interest in Christian education has continued to increase. The school added a high school in the late 1970s and added 12,000 square feet to the building in 1983. By the early 1990s, more elementary classrooms were added and the school was awarded full accreditation from the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC). WCS now has the distinction of being the oldest accredited Christian school in New England.
In 2012, an expansion was completed that added a new Library Media Center, study rooms, administrative office space, and an expanded Elementary School Library. The view from the LMC overlooks the lower soccer field and the playground.
The 2017-2018 school year began with a dedication of The Nehemiah Center. This addition to the school includes a state-of-the-art Center for Arts and Worship, a gymnasium with a training room, and an inviting lobby with glass walls overlooking the campus. The project also provided more classroom space for Technology and Engineering, and Band and Choir.